Sunday, April 12, 2015

Driver’s Education. MotorSport Ranch—4/12/2015

Porsche Club of America held a Driver’s Ed 8 days before Boston Marathon.  Perfect timing for the taper weekend.  After years of joking about becoming one of those assholes who spent the weekends at the track, I signed up for 4 20-min sessions.




_stress inducing activity
Understanding logistics was frustrating.  Event information was scattered and mostly consistent; uncertainties associated with each task added up during the week prior to the event: helmet rule, car inspection, race numbers color, start time, bathroom, rain day plan, wi-fi availability….



_event day overhead
It took hours to get through packet pickup, helmet inspection, mandatory meeting, and classroom instruction.

The classroom instruction was disappointing—half the time was wasted listening to the overweight instructor bragging about reaching top of mediocrity—I wondered whether I project the same image when talking about inline races.  Much of the remaining time was spent on basic information such as line of travel.

[not street-legal car]

_coaching
My personal onboard coach Dave was a software project manager who was promoted away from Oracle administrator job by Dilbert’s Principle.  Like many enthusiasts, he focused on necessary instead of sufficient attributes.  Dave was unable to grasp that I didn’t have memorized the course therefore was unable to gauge acceleration.  This was the most negative aspect of the on-track experience.

Dave accused me of lacking aggression behind wheel by letting more than 1 second pass between throttle and brake.  It was awesome!





[fancy wrap]

There was a non-blind climb I never gauged correctly.  Cayman’s onboard computer bailed me out multiple times.  The tires squeaked a lot but never got off the pavement.

The big disc brakes were awesome.  The dual clutch upshifted wickedly fast.

Couple times I accidentally shifted due to the pedal locations.  I could see why some prefer column-mount pedals.

_puny engine
I got used to watching high-dollar cars passing me.  This validated my engine decision.  Ability to go from 60~110 mph couple seconds faster than a 275-hp wasn’t worth $50k.  Nevertheless, it was awesome to see GTS’s and Ferraris flying by.

_inside and outside
First phrase on PCA’s membership application: “It’s the people!”

Porsche joke:
What’s the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?
Porcupines have the pricks outside.

Porsche Plano made an effort to form a customer community.  Majority of the owners I met were nonathletic middle class middle age guys wearing comfortable shoes who owned Italian car posters as teenagers.  Men seemed to be introverts; wives, not so much.  I didn’t meet million-dollar cars drivers, but a few also owned Ferrari and Lambo.

I enjoyed the conversation with other drivers between early sessions.  But there were only so many things I wanted to share with complete strangers.  By end of the day, most wore a blank expression just waiting for their track time.

_overhead
I left the house before 6am and returned 12 hours later.  I was on the track for < 2 hours.

This sport was a lot like golf but with less drinking and ugly pants: weather could ruin your day.  EPO was unlikely to enhance performance.  You had little control over who’s next to you.  Your financial value is distorted when it came to equipment acquisition.  I loved the actual playing. The downtime drove me nuts.

I ended up with < 12 mile-per-gallon for the track.  It was glorious.

_$ $ everywhere
Based on drivers I interviewed, tires lasted 5 to 6 such weekends.  That worked out to be $50+ / hour tire cost.

A cop set up a speed trap waiting for us at end of the day.  Waze worked as designed.

My lower back became unhappy during the 70-mile drive home.  I was offered additional 4 Sunday sessions without fee; petro was cheap; Cayman was ready to go.  I decided to keep my Sunday non-driving activities already planned.  Mostly I didn’t want the long drive to the track + 7 hours of sitting and standing around when weather would be iffy.

I felt I checked a box off the list.  For those moments when the machine responded like a body part and I trusted my life to laws of physics, I yearned to do it again—after I replenish my bank account.

No comments: