Saturday, February 20, 2016

Pinlin50k 藍鯨坪林<戀山海>超級馬拉松2016/02/21, Taipei, Taiwan

 
ChihYang asked if I want to race the last day of my Taiwan trip:
“坪林起跑 估計1600前可跑完 1730前回到家 1920前開車出發到機場 2220飛機:

I never raced a course this hilly.  Timing conflicted with Cowntown 50k and annual half marathon PR attempt.  I seized the rare chance to do an endurance event with my brother.



Light rain came and went for this course near the cloud line.

_supply station every 5k
Many runners carried their own plastic cup to minimize environmental waste.
I ate star fruits, banana, and cherry tomato.
Hot food was delicious: rice noodle soup, congee, and mung bean soup. 

_negative split
ChihYang and I walked many climbs and took most downhill easy.  Rain frequency and intensity increased half way and motivated higher heart rate.



Continuous running didn’t start 'til 35k.  I matched Jack’s pace at unfamiliar grades.  It felt weird braking every step at 7:00 pace.

# per Gamin 910 XT
distance = 31.2 mi
time = 6:12:25
pace = 11:57 min/mi
elevation gain = 6873 ft
starting temperature = 59 F


_post race
A big bowl of 控肉飯.  Pretty cool.

Mom prepared a big dinner at home before ChihYang took me to the airport formerly known as Chiang Kai-shek International.

Duty-free seemed to imply 30% additional markup.  I window-shopped for expensive and inaccurate wrist watches.  I thought of the Tissot that lead to this ridiculous hobby.  It was the year of iPad 1 when the downward spiral was already in motion but yet hopeful.  I need to learn accepting things out of my control.

Boarded the plane to Houston 7 hours after the race.



   

No comments: