Saturday, October 26, 2019

The Colony Half 2019/10/26—first run race in 6 months

My plantar symptom started in October 2018.  I treated it the same way as 2011: reduce running volume; it’d go away in 6 months.  The symptom intensified after each hard effort.  I limped after February Cowtown 50k.  I raced almost every weekend after that—most were shorter than marathon.  Tired of weekly limp, I skipped paid-for races to rest plantar fascia.  I focused on wheel sports after Hachie 50 on 5/4.

After mostly 10~20-mile weeks, I drove toward The Colony’s start line not because I was ready but because the race was paid for.

_plan
Run by feel: low to mid 8 minute-mile pace.  Try to hold sub-8 for final 8k.  SAG if foot becomes an issue.  The goal was to stay healthy: no crash, no catching cold.  I was to play APA single’s qualifier at 1pm.

_equipment issue
I found a good parking spot 50 minutes before the race and discovered I failed to pack planned racing shoes.  I also mistakenly took backup shoes out of car.  I freaked out.  My parking neighbor Justin lent me his spare Brooks.  I was elated.  He said it’d take him 2 hours to finish.  I could leave shoes at his car.

I stopped by On booth.  The rep helpfully offered demo shoes of correct sizes.  I encountered helpful people everywhere.

I walked out of porta potty at 8am.  The race started just as I reached timing strip.

_pacer
I decided to follow the 1:45:00 pace group.  The 2 pacers were triathletes carried the group meandering through 4 miles of residential streets.  I felt they climbed too hard.  I got dropped at every climb.  A few in group struggled with wattage required to stay close.  It was tempting to offer advice but didn’t want to rock the boat.

The website stated:
"Over 50% of this 13.1 mile course runs along The Colony's shoreline trail on beautiful Lake Lewisville.  Participants will enjoy a gently undulating, crushed granite trail in a picturesque & natural setting"  I didn’t fully agree with “picturesque,” but a few lake views were pretty.

I was too arrogant/lazy to read course description and was surprised by gravel and mud.  I was very happy not running barefoot or with Crocs.  On’s sole design carried extra mud compare to conventional soles.  Never thought I’d work this hard at 8:00 pace.

By mile 10, I was the only one remained from the original group.  I didn’t want to disappoint the pacers, I started to dig.

Justin caught up from behind, not noticing I wasn’t wearing his shoes.  He had a good day and went faster than planned.  I focus on my running.  I was depressed by my fitness.

Mile 12 and 13 markers showed up late.  The pacers admitted defeat and informed us of the lateness.  Justin took off.  I wasn’t in a hurry and sped up by feel, finished 12 seconds behind Justin.  I missed out on age group podium by < 10 second.

_#’s
Time: 1:45:17
Pace: 8:02

_slow recovery
The body didn’t feel right for remaining of the day.  I struggled with my 8-ball shots.  I lost the final match to an inferior player.

_next day
My legs were stiff.
Pool game recovered more.

Mark ran 8:22 pace off the bike at Waco 70.3.  I was happy for him.


No comments: