Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tour de Donut 11/7/2010: Glassy pavement, cool air, sugary pastry, reluctant bearings, car crash, 4000 calories, Ukrainian polka



I fantasized racing this event for 3 years. Decision to participate tipped for 2010: conversation with the founder, Kobayashi's arrest, Renee's last event before spine surgery, Timo's offering to drive.

_Gentle start
Donut-loving cyclists felt less intimidating than most bike races. The timing mats were uneven and narrow. A few of us skaters move to the very front to minimize the # of cyclists we needed to trust.



No lead vehicle. I drafted behind a marshal and led the entire field heading into the first turn. After a few turns at the mall, we had a light tail wind on smooth pavement. Life was beautiful. I sped toward glazed donuts. Chris, Casey, and Timo didn't catch up; they had breakfast.

_Glitches
The wheels didn't roll well. I was using non-race set up: replacements ceramic bearings for another set of ceramics I also didn't like. I skated noisily.

A truck made louder noise by rear ending a stopped vehicle in front of a parked police car. The 3 motorists looked surprised. Upon impact, I jumped to the other side of rumble strips for seemingly no good reason.

The rest stop came a little earlier than expected. I came to a complete stop and skated back to feed zone.

_Breakfast
First 3 donuts were delicious. They cost me about 2 minutes. Next 4 took longer. Timo and Casey came in with the Rolling Viking. Tore had cool outfit and matching thighs.

I consumed the 7 high-heart-rate-compatible donuts then found a steady cyclist. He pulled me all the way to rest stop #2.

_Bottleneck
I started eating while willing the HR to settle. During donut #10, a racer in watermelon helmet cheerfully pointed out that 2009 winner was rolling out after 23. Had I completed the remaining course at speed of light, the big dude would've still beaten me. I accepted defeat and slowly processed the planned dozen. Kobayashi could've inhale them in 2 minutes flat. My ingesting speed deteriorated by donut 15. Swallowing required conscious effort. #18 probably took 5 minutes to finish.



Casey waited and pull for the remaining miles. On chip n seal, I experienced doubt whether the 4000 calories would stay at the preferred end of esophagus. Casey had to let his draft go to avoid my reversal.

Thanks to Hoffmann and Coffman's instruction, the cheap n seal was shorter lived. The skaters route utilized I-10 service road. Chris MacKowski did not follow the instruction precisely and celebrated his first freeway skate. The interstate excursion cost him the honor of being the first skater to cross the line.



Too Full Too Hawk (photo by Wonder Girl)


My digestive system was unaccustomed to this level of processed flour and refined sugar. I did not desire lunch and was grateful for Timo's barf-free ride back to DFW.

#'s

donuts: 19
consumption rate per:
rest stop 1: 94 sec
rest stop 2: 150 sec

waiting for traffic light: 2 min

avg speed: 12 mph
avg moving speed: 17.6 mph

total time: 2:27:41
adjusted time: 0:52:41

nutrition info (http://www.shipleydonuts.ws/glazed_donut.html)
217 calories
54 grams (11 g fat, 25 g carb)

prelim result: http://www.tourdedoughnut.com/Photos_and_Results/2010TDDResults.htm




"I am very hungry, I wish there were hot dogs in jail."
-- Takeru Kobayashi
7/5/2010:
(http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5355723)

No comments: