Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Long Run 04/06/2012 55 miles, 1q84, sub 7:00 pace

_Goal Jack shared his 100k experience. The running legs lasted 90k--almost done--but walking 10k took a long time. I ran a double marathon in 2011. 100k was a logical next step. If 2012 was anything like previous year, the last 10k would be mostly walking followed by a dinner with insufficient calorie followed by poor sleep. I reviewed 2011 mistakes:  Injury at mile 15.  Insufficient fluid and calorie throughout the day.  Unrealistic first 20-mile pace. Not wanting to make the run a dreaded annual event, I changed my approach when I watched Dara Torres ingesting recovery drink during workouts.  Start after sufficient sleep.  Moving speed slower than 11:00 pace for first 30 miles.  Finish within 24 hrs. Long breaks allowed.  Minimum 52.4 miles.  Last mile no slower than first mile. _7:15am I left the house after the sun came out. I was in no rush. I carried 400 calories of gel and beans. I came back to the house at least every 13 miles. _accident Kicking a concrete block was the highlight of 2011 long run. I thought the toe broke. This year I chose only well maintained streets. At mile 12.76, I stepped into a gutter and rolled the right ankle. I was looking at the GPS and didn't see the curved gutter around the fancy gazebo among the million-dollar townhomes. It reminds me of Candy's injuries. You can't focus on safety every second. The ankle didn't swell. Pain disappeared 72 hours later. _rest stops I stopped by RBM to check out Cervelo P4 and fortunately had no desire to upgrade. I went to Home Depot and haggled over LED light bulbs (yes, prices at clearance table are negotiable). I napped for 2 hour after 3-candybar lunch. I cooked instant noodle with egg at 5:30pm. I visited Pure Newtrition; charming but insufficiently educated Destiny tried to sell me her nutrition knowledge. Other fuels included gels, beans, and Blue Bell ice cream. I experiment with different shoes. Streak and Green Silence functioned as expected. Nimbus felt great at 10:00 pace--no wonder it outsold its efficient competitors. _mileage It was 11pm when I consolidated data from 3 Garmin Forerunner 305's. I still needed 6 miles to reach 100k. Last 8 miles was around 11:00 pace; feet hurt, but rest of the body felt great, cardio was under-taxed. I considered my Saturday schedule and late bedtime's implication on recovery. 100k was just a number. I quit at 55 miles. _1q84 I avoided thinking about my worries for the day: medical news from Asia unfinished lighting project at home ADA-compliant tax forms. This was the first weekend I didn't work or travel since Christmas. I would immerse in Murakami's 3-book novel at regular playing speed. I always found familiar elements in his stories. In _1q84_, the male protagonist was a sham math prodigy who practiced judo. Tengo communicates poorly with his father and move out of parents' house during early teens. He abandoned an academic career. He's a devoted novelist but all his effort only made him a superior technician. He made a living using a trivial skill acquired in school. It was a bit eerie. I fantasized movie version of the novel: Lynch directing Tengo and the teen writer; Tarantino directing assassin Aomame. I missed Robert Altman. _Boston qualifying time I read the details on the standard and realized the bar was raised by 6 minutes, not 5. The extra 60 seconds killed my desire to qualify this year. I considered qualifying on a faster course. The travel overhead made the experience feel artificial. I missed riding 35-mile RBM route with "A" group, which conflicts with optimizing training for December marathon. My half marathon experiences were mostly positive: the training allowed other sports; I always had fun. Goals: • sub 21-min Katy 5k • Yasso 800 x10 at 3:05 pace • half marathon at sub 7:00 pace • road cycling back to 2010 level • enough form for A2A 38-mile

No comments: