Thursday, May 10, 2012

Katy 5k Thursday 5/10/2012


I trained through this annual race.  The only change to weekly routine was replacing Tuesday Yasso 800 with 1 mile tempo.

I arrived Reverchon Park 2.5 hrs before the start and went apartment shopping.  The high-rises on Turtle Creek were a different world than West Plano suburb: concierge, porter, valet, dog walkers.  I fantasized high-cost but low-maintenance living.  This is opposite of what I worked toward.

I warmed up and stretched in the rec center.  Everything below the neck felt flexible--a good spine days.  Pain-freeness is wonderful and addictive.

I missed the staging that started at 6:30 pace.  I climbed over the barrier and position myself next to a nurse from England shooting for 20:00 finish.  I set my GPS pacer for 20:33.  Close enough.  33 seconds seemed trivial to overcome; yet 10-second-per-mile felt unbridgeable.  Weird.

First mile went as planned.  I gained then bled just enough distance at end of the climb near halfway--amazing considering my limited experience with 5K.

Final mile was a struggle.  I was afraid to hammer.  I finally picked up the pace when 3-mile mark came in sight.  I had too much left at the end.  I recalled being more of a real man when paceline skating was a semi-weekly ritual.

I missed Timo while yapping with the nurse I failed to chase down.  Timo finished couple minutes behind me.  We missed each other.

Luke's Locker held a Nike Free 3 demo.  Nike lasts still didn't like my wide feet.  It reminded me of Micah True (Caballo Blanco)'s autopsy.  I wondered if I had cardiomyopathy.

It was ChihYang's birthday.  I thought about how his diabetes influenced both of our athletic lives.  I thought about Candy's big race in 3 days.  She was living out my dream.

Weather was great.  The buffet was great.  I had 3 goat cheese soft tacos.

#'s
morning weight: 141 lb.
result: 20:28 @ 6:34 pace.  PR
shoes: Green Silence



No comments: