Sunday, August 20, 2017

Richardson Corp Challenge Bike 15k 2017/08/20



This was 1 of the 22 events Richardson hosted.  The written rules were wordy yet unclear partly because the word “team” was used for 3 contexts:
- The 4 riders whose time actually went into result
- The up to 20 riders who ride with timing chips
- All riders representing the company
There’s no rule against motor.  What would the organizer do if I showed up with Ninja?

Riders were not educated on passing.  We ended up slicing between riders and going outside of cones to avoid contact.

_goal
Not embarrass myself and the team.  Crash-free.


_course
1 lane was blocked off but the corners weren’t well thought out given # of inexperienced riders.


_race
I took off on my 12-year-old QR and the only sperm looking helmet in the whole event.  Ashley latched on.  I couldn’t imagines the girls accelerating quickly.  Beaney probably wasn’t ready on his hybrid.  For the first time I realized the ancient helmet had a huge blind spot from aero position.

First right was the only clear turn I didn’t worry about collision.  We made the turn without braking.  I made remaining turns conservatively and probably paid many seconds for safety.

Ashley took over on Waterview Parkway.  He attacked the hill with enthusiasm.  Neither of us knew how to pace a 9-mile TT; we went too hard.

The 2 Indian girls at Central right turn weren’t aware we were catching them at 28 mph.  I braked.  Ashley had to wait on 75 surface road.  The right turn was well-marked at Palisades Creek Dr.  Ashley stopped looking fluid once we started the long climb.  He told me to go, I decided to slow and hope he’d recover.  This was supposed to be a team time trial.  We barely made half way.

My heart rate was recovered by Campbell; legs didn’t bounce back.  Mild head wind.  I had the faster bike.  I accelerate gradually and hoped Ashley would hang on.  He did.  I struggled to reach for 26 mph.  The final right turn came quicker than expected.  I gave Ashley the lead.

Giving the cop and other racers too much room, I turned onto sidewalk at 20.8 mph.  I had to jump off a curb, Peter Sagan-like.  Wish there's a video.  Very happy having no road rash.  Heart rate transmitter broke just before race ended.



_#
Garmin 310xt
Distance: 8.74 mi
Time: 22:42
Speed: 23.1 mph
HR: 165/180 bpm

Official
Distance: 8.95 mi
Time: 22.38
Speed: 23.7 mph
Pace: 1st in division D

Tony Martin: 33.5 mph for 40k at 2017 TT World Championship.


No comments: