Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Texas Road Rash. April 17, 2011

I started skating late this year and decided to make TRR a “D” race; it's an annual social trip.
TSX delivered 31 mpg to Round Rock. I stopped by a Ducati dealer in Waco. Had mediocre BBQ next door. David Sedaris audio books made the time pass fast.

_World class
Joey Mantia looked bulkier than last time I saw him. I fantasized multiple US long track medals at Sochi 2014 after watching his huge lead at Saturday elimination race.
Debbie Rice decided not to compete despite having many choices of mismatched boots. Bont brought its young guns.

I acquired new Texas Flyer jersey before dinner with teammates.

It was great to see Duane and Scarlett. How priority changed in a few years: Duane, Scarlett, Harris, and Ritter moved away; Demer never regained form after operation; Jason went to cycling; I focused on long events; Phil doesn't skate much after his first born; Mackowski is recovering from boating accident. Casey was the only one getting faster.

_Marathon
1 mass start this year. I couldn't hang with the lead pack beyond couple miles but started with them any way. I love watching a race unfold up close. Joey didn't start easy like his last appearance. The pack let him go; everyone was confident in his inability to keep up with superboy. The headwind was downhill this year; Joey needed no help breaking wind.
I redlined and stood up to wait for safe-looking skaters to pick me up. Randy and Renee invited me in. Randy was a TRR champion and by far the fastest in the pack that included Margo and Gene. I stayed behind Renee and watch her being delivered half marathon finish. It was good to see her recovering well from surgery.
Lap 4: Joey lapped us . He made the pros understand how I felt when I tried to stay with them.

_Plotting
I discussed finishing strategy with Gene; it reminded me of skating with Tom Demer at inaugural TRR.
Chris and Brenda showed up . I assumed they bonked; I didn’t notice the torn jerseys. They joined the pack. I switched to race mode--Margo and Brenda were both pro masters.
Brenda didn't show bouncy legs. I took the lead and slow the pack at the final head wind. I warned Gene of the impending attacks. I didn't ask him to help Brenda--I was confident Chris and I would deliver Brenda to the line.
The slow downhill made everyone antsy. Couple half-hearted breakaways initiated after turning to cross wind. I held a steady pace in front of Chris and Brenda--my job was to keep Margo within range. I assumed Chris was ready to take over.
Gene accelerated and took over the lead. Margo cracked. I let her dry for a bit before passing her. She was unable to latch on. It’s tough to be out-teammated.
3 TXF jerseys skated together like the old days. My 110mm wheels actually felt good for a change.

Brenda won the pro master jacket and shared her cash winning.

It's good to see Duane and Jason return to the sport. Casey improved his speed similar to his running progress. It was always good to see Toronto skaters. Standing on age group podium, Gene grinned like a necrophiliac in the morgue.


My veins pop to be like Morgan

_Perspectives (quotes from inlineplanet.com and other sources)
Joey Mantia: "I basically stood up for 45 seconds to let them catch up. But when I stood up, they took a break themselves.... So I just kept going."
Justin Stelly describes it as "a nice, easy pace" after getting 2nd place.
3rd place Harry Vogel claims he got 2nd because "Joey doesn't count" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSn4vMndj_E&feature=player_embedded)
Timo was happy with his time after spending more time golfing than skating, "big pack is the answer."
Brianna Kramer, winner of last year's NorthShore Inline Marathon, is on a break from the Wheels to Ice Program of the U.S. Olympic Committee. "This is the most exercise I've had in a month,"


Top female Brianna was tinier than expected

_Post TRR brick
I tripled the participation number by talking Timo and Casey into running. Timo suffered a DNF as Casey and I ran the course in reverse direction.

_Shopping:
I visited Austin's run, bike, and tri stores after lunch. I was disappointed by lace-less shoes. Zoot's marketing described the new blister inducing model as "designed for short-distance races." I scored 2 pairs of running shorts. My annual spring long run was coming up.
TSX averaged 34 mpg with tail wind after dinner with Jenny and Ray. I recalled my cancelled plan of racing as a pro master. I desired Candy to achieve her goal.

1 comment:

Gene Matocha said...

Another great write up.
Necropheliac at the morgue? I'm not sure how to feel about that! ;)