Friday, April 22, 2011

Long run 2011--Double Marathon. April 22

_Motivation: baby steps
Pursuing the illusion of closer to Badwater, I decided on annual PR on running distance. I did not find a good event that fit schedule. I picked Good Friday--weather was reasonable; no major injury; I got a day off work. The preparation included skipping Thursday Yasso 800 and post-Yasso beer.
I laid out 2 GPS and 2 skinning running belts for gels and cash. I unwrapped the big running belt holding 2 10-oz bottles. I anticipated returning to the house between 2 marathons. I laughed when discovering I put on cycling gloves out of habit. I took them off and locked the door. Goal: 52.4 miles in 12 hours.
I ran toward The Colony exploring new routes. Instead of music, I listened to Richard Russo's _Empire Falls_ and Murakami's _The Wind-up Bird Chronicle_. I had a hard time with 11:00 pace. I needed more practice with slow pace.

_Crash
Mile 15. I opened a pack of Jelly Bean in the unfamiliar reseal-able bag. I tripped over a concrete block 10 cm higher than its neighbor. The elbow dripped red liquid in dramatic fashion--it's mostly sweat. I had the bag in hand therefore left palm scrape wasn't deep. It was a hard 5.5-mph fall. I kept going and wished I kept the gloves on. For a few days, brushing teeth and using washroom would be left-handed--skills we acquire through sports.
Lots of little aches. Big toe was throbbing. I didn't feel like running any more but was too cheap to call a taxi and too lazy to plan the makeup run. I kicked couple more sidewalk blocks and cursed at the city's budget cut. I was glad I wasn't wearing minimalist shoes.


I'll probably lose that toe nail.

Kroger was a great rest stop. Walgreen's Gatorade was twice the price, but it's all about location. 4 hours into the run, I became more dehydrated than I felt. The stream reminded me of the Fukushima Plant.

_Bonk
I was dumbfounded when hitting the wall at mile 23. I lasted longer at Cowtown with more climb at faster pace. There's no negotiating with one's physical condition. Could be dehydration; I wish I know for sure. I accepted the slower speed and stopped at a Dickey's BBQ on 121.
AC and ice water did wonders to my mood. I did not blend into the Friday 2pm crowd. Everyone else spoke fluent Spanish and seemed capable of construction and other real-man activities. A friendly gentleman asked, "you're a runner, aren't you?" I smiled and nodded my head. What gave it away, Sherlock: bloody elbow, compression shirt, spandex, calf sleeves, salt stain, or the sun visor? I consumed a big cup of mashed potato and large quantity of water during the long break.
_2nd half
11:30 pace became a struggle by mile 30. I ignore the pace and ran slowly home. The pool looked inviting as I swapped running belts and water bottle.

_Insufficient form
I chose the familiar Plano routes for the remaining 20 miles. Running became difficult by mile 35. I wasn't hurt or hungry; heart rate was low; the body just didn't want to run. I walk-ran against sunset. It was demoralizing. How did the same body finish Ironman? I considered ordering a pizza.
I developed empathy with the protagonists in both novels. I wondered what it'd take to develop that level of writing skills. Trusting quality of sidewalks, my mind drifted. I reviewed my life decisions. Long run is one way to gain fresh perspectives.
I took my time in the dark and finished double marathon. 11 hours moving. 1 hour of resting. I was in no shape to run 100 miles in 24 hours. I was disappointed but glad to have learned my fitness level.
Dinner tasted great. I estimated 5000 calories deficit. I considered downing 1 kg of sugar with couple eggs and calling it good.
I slept badly after the run. Typical after a long event.

No comments: