Saturday, April 27, 2013

Irving Marathon 4/27/2013 (2nd failed attempt to BQ)


Boston Qualifier.  Certification #: TX13063ETM

I dismissed the event when first learned of it: weather was unlikely to be ideal; things tended to go wrong at inaugural events; I didn't want to give up spring long run and Texas Road Rash.

_Decision
Casey emailed me 2 days after the 100k day, "The Irving Marathon got certified as BC qualifier." 

Peaking for a marathon 20 days after 100k was out of question.  My 2008 12-hour and 24-hour skates took over a month to recover. 

“Can I PR by 8 minutes without marathon specific training?”  I thought I had a chance if weather cooperated.  According to VO2-based calculator, my theoretical marathon time was 3:14:06.  I need 3:19:59.  Minimally, I had a chance for another meltdown, which would become fun memory.  Scott Jurek won Western State and Badwater 2 weeks apart.  Sometimes bodies would rise enough for the occasions.

_2013 Boston Marathon Bombing.  4/15/2013
My brain couldn’t process a friend’s text that Monday; he thought I was in Boston. 
For days running 2014 Boston felt like a calling.  I wasn’t the only one.  The interest to qualify skyrocketed that week.

(from http://running.competitor.com/2013/04/news/want-to-qualify-for-boston-in-2014_70892)

_Preparation
Recovery from 100k and tapering for marathon coincided.
Things within my control
1.    staying skinny
2.    minimum training
3.    rest
4.    carbo load

_Condition
Forecast was on the money: 67F, 84% humidity at 7:30am. 
Casey called 11 hours before the gun: south end of the course was on utility road with sharp rocks.  WTF.

_Race
Garmin 305 paced me at 7:33 for a 3:17:57 finish.  This leaves 1% margin.

4 distances started at the same time: 5k, 10k, half, full.  I loved the timer's expression when he saw the 2 barefoot runners without shoe lace for his disposable chips.  He seemed to ponder over the no-shoe-no-service policy but finally approached the 2 runners, "come see me when you finish."

The utility road wasn't bad during the first loop.  I avoided the bigger rocks by picking landing spots.  A barefoot runner ran gingerly on grass; the other disappeared.

The course was 7 miles of trail; 2 loops; 2 U-turns per loop.  I didn't anticipate half marathoners’ moral support when I started loop 2.  I also didn't anticipate 7:33 pace would put me in 7th place.  I overtook 1 guy at 3rd U-turn and started to fantasize 43-minute final 10k to get on men’s podium, "I just need 1 guy to falter."

14 miles flew by.  Legs' unhappiness became noticeable.  I increased cadence to make up for stiffness.  This worked for another 5k.  I started to lose time.  I burned a match at every hill.  I was hopeful of 3:19:59 finish.  I prepared myself to go anaerobic.  "Last 10k is gonna hurt."

_"20 miles of hope and 6.2 miles of reality"
I expected 2nd wind or the wall; instead, I got cramps.  Left calf and hamstrings shrank the moment I grabbed a Chick-fil-A cup.  I kept the pace and ended up limping.  I walked a bit then started jogging.  Boston was out of reach.

2 guys passed me before the levee.  I didn't respond.  Footing was difficult on the unpaved surface.  Hot spots formed inside of shoes.  The laces bit.  I walked the final U-turn and saw an Indian dude catching up.  I resumed running.  “I can still finish top-10.”

A smiling Kristen Rains caught me on the pavement.  I stayed with her.  She smiled, "we're almost done." She high kicked then sped away.  I was Wile E Coyote.

Mile 22 was a funny state of mind.  With each step, the finish became farther.  I resorted to Ironman shuffle.  "Just keep moving." 

Half marathoners took breaks from their phone conversations to make eye contacts: "You can catch her!" "You're almost there!" "Looking strong!"  I appreciated these lies from complete strangers.  I was surprised those hairy Indian legs hadn't caught up. 

The last 4 miles felt like 4 hours.  I crossed the line within a minute of 2 other guys.  We placed 9th  ~ 11th behind 2 girls.

This guy didn't beat me (image off official YouTube video)



_#’s
time: 3:35:06
pace: 8:12
place: 10/220
blister: 2
black toe nail: 1



In addition to $450 prize, Joe Beislver’s 6:25 pace won him 366-day supply of Chick-fil-A.


_Pre-race physical activities:
-20 days.  100k run in 24 hours.
-13 days.  28-mile skate at Road Rash.  5-mile cool down run.
-12 days.  6x800.  Sluggish during warm up.  Smooth sailing after first rep.
-9 days.  5k tempo.  Leg sore throughout the run.  I skipped the last 1k.
-7 days.  Long run at 8:44 pace.  Legs didn’t like it.  I shorten the run to 10k and questioned my ability to finish marathon at any pace.
-3 days.  1-mile tempo.  The weather and my body peaked for this low-humidity 40F day: I woke up 135.8 lb and pain-free.  6:55 pace felt like jogging. 

_nutrition
I carbo-loaded for 3 days and gained 2.0 lbs by race morning.  I stapled 4 gels to waste band in addition to the 2 gels in the hat pockets.  This worked well.  I wasn't even hungry after the race.  Gel and liquid went well at 7:33 pace heart rate.

2 lb felt like a stiff penalty for a full tank of glycogen.

_things for organizer to improve
1.    The course map was based on a visually pleasing rendering of the trail with weird orientation.  Outlines of the river were, err, beautified.  I visualized a graphic artist who's never good at reading maps.
2.    It was unclear whether racers could sign up at packet pick up.  Many wasted $7.5 on active.com.
3.    It was unclear whether the trail would be closed to non-event traffic.
4.    Volunteers received insufficient training.  At one point an aid vehicle impeded my progress.  Another volunteer expected me to come a complete stop for water.
5.    1 water station ran out of water the first hour. 
6.    300:1 racer-to-porta-potty ratio.
7.    Parking.  The race was delayed half hour.
8.    The delay was announced late.
9.    The announcer had different instructions for the start than official literature.  I was among "fuck it, I'm starting from the front."
10.    It’s uncool to advertise “The course is a paved, 12’ wide trail” when sharp stones on unpaved road were involved.



No comments: