Saturday, May 4, 2019

Hachie 50k; Waxahachie--salvage

_goal
After Feburary Cowtown I was hopeful to average 9:00 pace for this race.  I raced too much since and lost fitness each week.  Now Hachie I thought 10:00 pace realistic and expected top-3 hardware as a master.

_familiar race
It’s tempting to cheap out and drive to the event in the morning, which required 3am wake time for the 6am start.

I picked up package Friday afternoon and stayed at Fairview with Marriott points.  Bought a pizza next to the video store with movies from last century.


[“Dumb and Dumber” reminded me of Stephen Hawkins]

I forgot to pack XPS 13 and was pleasantly surprised hotel Netflix worked.  I got out of bed at 4am.  Took my time with breakfast.  Arrived in time to see the 50-milers’ delayed start.  The lead solo guy seemed relaxed yet ran faster than all relay runners behind him.  He broke the course record by 45 minutes despite mud and water-crossing.


_start
50k started with 200 meters of mud in the dark.  Everyone was cautious.  I followed lead guys with headlamp to know where to step.

Gina Pape caught up to me.  A guy carrying too much water and food passed us.  I was 5th.  I wasn’t concerned—only 1 of the leaders seemed old enough to be a master.  I stayed behind Gina; she had good headlamp.

[the peaceful stretch; photo from FB]

_running mates
Gina and I had incompatible climbing pace.  She delayed at water station.  I held constant moving effort.  Tuan caught me using big calves.  He looked my age.  I considered my chance if it came down to a sprint finish.  I bet he couldn’t go sub-3-minute-mile.

Jason Holloway joined.  3 of us ran together; we talked about club politics and ultra runs.  My 2 running mates had the foresight to park their cars along the course for easy supply.  Tuan was unconcerned about the minutes he lost for these breaks; this made me feel better about my pee stops.

_failed electronics
For 3rd straight year, Garmin 630 lost satellite signal after first lap.  At one point it told me I was moving at 43:00 pace.  Tuan had no problem with his Fenix 3 and informed me it’s time to upgrade.

[630 thought I stopped for 20+ minutes]

_familiar faces
I was happy to see Meghan at the start but decided not to chat in order to focus on wardrobe and light decisions.  I ended up leaving multiple items on the ground and was re-united with them at lost-and-found after race.

I saw Stephanie running toward me.  I instinctively wanted to turnaround to chat before remembering we were racing.

Some volunteers and racers greeted me like I was Norm in “Cheers.”  I wonder if they really remembered me or mistook me for the skinny half-naked Asian who won 2018 marathon.  The positive energy helped my fading legs.

3 of the top 4 racers failed to hold the pace.  I started 3rd lap in 2nd.

[I wanted to stop and give him an apple; photo from FB]

_unfit
The wall came at mile 23.  My heart rate dropped.  I accepted my fitness and anticipated to lose my  spot.  Tuan caught me.  I followed him but was unable to keep up 9:45 pace before water crossing.

[4” puddle followed by 6” puddle]

The eventual winner had a 9-minute lead at U-turn #5 but disappeared at 6th and final U-turn.  I lost 1+ minute/mile to Tuan after he dropped me.  I finished 6 minutes ahead of female winner Stephanie from Baltimore.  Jason and Gina faded badly during the final 5 miles.


_#
Garmin 630 w/ lost GPS signals
Distance: 26.65 mi
Time: 5:05:17 (including perceived stops)
4:39:25 (moving time)
Pace: 10:35 min/Mi
HR: 144/162 bpm
Cadence: 176 spm

Official
Distance: 50k; 31.07 mi
Time: 5:05:06.4
Pace:  9:49 min/Mi
Place: 3rd over all.

[50-milers had to go 19 more miles after 50k]

_afterward

I visited Chautauqua Auditorium per Bob’s recommendation.

[Waxahachie Community Theater building stage for “Mama Mia!”]
Talked to a long time runner Art who made me feel I needed to reduce life stress by setting much lower goals.

The drive home was slowed by 2 accidents on I35.  Then the NTTA fuckers closed 2 lanes to turn the Dallas North Tollway into a paid parking lot.  The drive soured the weekend experience.

Japan House buffet with Cherns was nice.  The owner greeted us at beginning and end but didn’t bother us while eating.

No comments: