Saturday, April 27, 2019

Irving Marathon 2019/04/27—newbie pacer.

Irving Marathon would be part of my race-into-shape plan to regain fitness when I overestimated my recovery ability.  I unregistered the marathon race when event date changed.

Meghan organized half marathon pacer.  Seemed like a good alternative to solo training the week before Hachie.  I liked helping others to reach goal. 

_goal
Wrist watch time 1:49:10 ~ 1:49:30.
Chip time 1:49:59.
Run at 8:20 GPS pace.  Adjust as necessary.  Build 30~60-second cushion for mile-10 climb.  Then more cushion for Texas Flyer Hill at mile 11.8.

_photo op
The pacer T-shirt waited for me was a youth L.  Didn’t work.  I wore the regular event T-shirt thinking I probably should’ve taped nipples.

I knew the group photo would be 7am but incorrectly assumed the location would be obvious.  I walked with another pacer Matt and missed the pacer group photo.

_race
I stood a few rows in front of Ben’s pacer group, noticing 3:40 full-marathon in front of us—that’s exact same speed.  Olivia Coco took race director’s pacing duty.  I also had 2 Garmin Forerunners and a mile mark band.  I refused to be under-prepared.

_pacing
We were losing ground the first 400 meters then made up lost ground and reached the first mile marker at 8:23—a perfect start.  We gained couple seconds every mile for the final climbs.  A few in the group struggled to stay behind pacers.  I gave them space.  Only Sarosh looked good.  I was envious of his small calves and relaxed strides.

Head wind was mild.  I warned the group about climbs for the return trip.  Everyone was in good spirit.  Conversation reduced after mile 2.


The top guy behind the lead vehicle looked fantastic and had a huge gap on the next racer, who was female.  I wished I look that good.

_mile 6
The 2 hard breathers disappeared on the mild climb before U-turn.  We reeled in several racers; they couldn’t stay.  We had 30-second cushion against mile markers.  Sarosh no longer looked jumpy.  Olivia seemed to struggle to contain herself.  It’s a lot to ask a 6:30-pace racer to run at 8:23 in a race environment.

_tail wind
Mile 6.5~9.9 was flat.  Tail wind intensified.  1:50 pace group dwindled.  We bank time anticipating the final miles.

The group didn’t seem ready for the final 5k except Kevin.  Kevin stopped for pastry.  We made fun of him.

_the “hills”

Predictably, no one held the pace at mile 10.  Olivia persisted and ran alone.   Head wind came at the left turn.  All seemed lost.  I went sub-8 to catch Olivia on the descent.

[I slowed to 9:16 pace; still no one hung on]

_mile 11
This was the first mile marker farther than Garmin 630 expected.

I wished I taped nipples.

I was delighted when the bearded guy caught up to me before Texas Flyer hill.

I told him “we have 15-second cushion; we’re almost there.”  I didn’t tell him chip sensor didn’t know what time my timing devices started.  I just hoped he could climb with me; he couldn’t.  I hoped he had excellent closing speed; he did.

Olivia couldn’t help herself.  She built a gap then stayed with the group in front of us.  Maybe her GPS felt my GPS was too old.  Maybe she didn’t believe the mile splits.  I suppressed the urge to catch up, wishing there’s better technology.
"This is not about you, Johnny."

Head wind was rough.  Everyone was doing the best he could.

_#’s
GPS--Garmin Forerunner 630
Distance: 13.12 mi
Time: 1:49:13
Pace: 8:19
Heart rate: 162/177 bpm

GPS--Garmin Forerunner 910XT
Distance: 13.15 mi
Time: 1:49:18
Pace: 8:19

Chip
Distance: 13.1 mi
Time: 1:49:12
Pace: 8:20


_post race
I hoped Rob would do well at London Marathon the following day England time.

My Hachie 50k would be in 7 days.


No comments: