Saturday, August 29, 2015

Hotter n Hell 100-mile bike ride 8/29/2015



After years of neglecting bike fitness, I increased saddle time in 2015. 
It was great to resume the annual event after missing Hotter n Hell for Montreal 24h 2014.

_goal
Good visit with Ann
Injury-free, bonk-free.
Finish before noon => average 20.3 mph
[Ann's guest room]

_mechanical
The BMC drivetrain became noisy over the summer.  After acquiring the tools to service the shifter and the chain, I was still unable to eliminate the remaining creaking.  Local bike shop was unable to help me 6 days before HHH due to volume.

_expo
None of the 3 items on my list had sufficient discount:
Giro Attack helmet
Rudy Project Statfly glasses
Bicycle Inc driving glasses

Bought other things at steep discount:
Atmos II for $79
LG Base layer for $2.50

[this is the most complicated jersey I'd seen.  I didn't need another jersey but couldn't pass it up for $20]

_crit
The quality of spaghetti dinner has been consistent for decades.  The new price made it feel like a donation.

Bumped into Casey and Voon at post-dinner crit.  One tire blew in front of us forcing 2 others to stop.  Miraculously no one was hurt. I couldn’t see myself taking on this risk-fun ratio.

_pre-ride went as planned.
6:30am: Parked on grass.
Installed bento bag
Assembled wheels
Prepared nutrition
Installed Quarq power meter battery
Prayed bottom bracket would hold.

6:55am: rolling
shopping for group to hang with
rolled at steady pace on official course


_century ride
7:05am: cannon.  Started Garmin 310xt; waiting for the front pack.

The lead pack came like a freight train.  Lots of gaps were available to join.  No one was in a big hurry.  4 hours to go.

_easy first half
310XT showed lots of 23+ mph with aerobic heart rate.  I appeared to be in better shape than anticipated.  No one seemed to be working too hard.

A few dudes stopped in the middle of the road surrounding a guy holding his shoulder.  I reminded myself not to take chances.

My main issue was opening the nutrition bag one-handed.  Then my Gatorade bottle leaked because I didn't leave enough air room before freezing. 

[Garmin data]

_Hells Gate Express
It wasn’t hard to keep up with the pack, but yoyoing was scary at time.  The leaders started to break into groups.  I was happy with my position: 23+ mph, mostly steady, I feel guilty for contribution so little.

The effort felt good; the road surface did not.  I tried to remember what it was like to skate chip n seal.

_erratic pace
3:35 into the ride, strong riders got antsy.  Acceleration came in waves.  I could feel riders red-lining.  I decided to let the group go to minimizing bonking risk.  "Go easy early.  This is the course you bonked 3 out of 3."  I only need to average 17 mph for the remaining ride. 


Somehow I thought of Nelson's single's bar dating philosophy, "go ugly early."

_prolonging my skate career
Much of the surface was rough.  I fantasized skating this course using 125mm wheels in 2016.

_pulling the pack
3:35 ~ 3:56 averaging < 20 mph.  Road was crap.  I picked up a few riders along the way.  I hoped at least 1 of them would share the work.  I put my head down.  I wished I had my time trial bike.

Help came before 4 hour mark in the form of a triathlete with terrible pack skill.  The guy kept getting off the saddle due to man-part issue.  I was grateful not having to face the wind alone. I ease a little with every hint of cramping.

_successful finish
I anticipated to bonk between miles 80 and 90; I didn’t.  I jumped into the first group after mile 85.  The pace was reasonable, but my legs felt weak.  I was sad the new route no longer goes through the beer stop.

2 miles to go.  Riders turned jumpy.  I rode by myself to avoid having to trust strangers. 

The ride ended anticlimactically.  All body parts functional.  Everyone smiling.  I couldn’t stop thinking about skating the course again.

_#’s
Gatorade: 2x 24 oz
Water: 2x 24 oz + 12 oz boy scout from roadside

Garmin 310xt
Time = 4:36:44
Speed = 21.6 mph
HR = 147/171 bpm;
Power = 142/788 w
Weather = 73F; 5mph SSW; 69% humidity
No stop

Official timing chip data only worked at Hell’s Gate:
Check Pt; 2:37:48.12; 23.2 mph

_compare to previous PR (2009 with yoga injury):
Time: 4:42:57
Speed: 21.2 mph
HR: 155/180bpm 
Stop #1: pee against fence at mile 27
Stop #2: regroup after bonking: mile 91
Ride data: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/858125375

_5 hours after
Took the BMC to Trishop’s to fix the noise issue.  Sure enough my bottom bracket cracked. 
Quarq upgrade was hard to swallow at $900.  I postponed the decision 'til 2016.

_morning after
Woke up at 3:30am.  I didn’t sleep well.  Legs weren’t too sore.  I reinstated A2A training Sunday:
skate:
Windhaven skate ladder x12
HR = 114/158 bpm;

run:
10k @9:17
HR = 133/151 bpm

_18 days after
Met Doug at a Private Client dinner.  He rode with the pace car for 80 miles and finished around 4.5 hours.  Doug owned a Ducati but had no power meter on his S-Work.  At least I had my priority straight.




No comments: