Sunday, August 16, 2015

Xterra Cameron Park half marathon 8/16/2015, Waco, Texas

_clueless
I signed up for the half marathon without learning of the details.  I just wanted to visit Mike and Brenda.



[6 bikes have their own bedroom]

Harris' 3 other runner guests are Voon, Casey, and Steve.

It’d be a “D” race.  I was wondering why runner friends predicted very slow pace.  I couldn’t imagine a half would take more than 110 minutes.  How hilly could it be?
Then Casey send me the stair photo

[Jacob’s Ladder]

I finally dawned on me this wouldn't be a road race.

_goal
Last time I ran trail, I DNF after 37.5 miles.  I got shin splint.

New goal: Look for someone to follow.  2~3 hours.  No stupid risk.  Stay injury-free.  Hotter n Hell was in 13 days.

_sprint start
I was advised to start fast, “you don’t want to get stuck behind slow people on Jacob’s Ladder."

Keeping up with the lead group wasn't too hard, but it felt ridiculous starting sub 6:00 pace for a 2+ hour race.  I was unable to get in rhythm climbing the stairs due to unfavorable leg length.  Couple runners overtook me—yeah, I was the slow climber today.

[First mile]

_unfamiliar sport
I stayed in contact with a few clueful racers.  The surface went from “uneven dirt” to “lots of roots and rocks.”  Footing was frightening.  I stepped on where others stepped.  Elevation changed quicker as we went deeper into the woods. The heart rate strap kept sliding off.    The hand bottle was so annoying I wanted to smash it against a tree.  It was frustrating unable to utilize my cardio capacity.

23 minutes into the race, I barely moved 2 miles.  I slid on rocks and twigs. 

[2nd mile]

“Why am I following these crazies?”
I accepted defeat and slowed.  I drank to reduce bottle weight.  HRM strap stayed put at lowered pace.  I was by myself among the trees.  Trail markings were clear.  The terrain became fun at my own pace.  I started to enjoy the morning.  I felt blessed for the new experience.

Final 1k surface was mostly runnable.  Moving at 9:00 pace felt like flying after an hours in the woods.

_2nd lap
Mike was at base of Jacob’s.  I handed him my bottle.  I wasn’t sure if the beer was for me, but I was thirsty, so I took it off his other hand.

Brenda and Voon looked happy after finishing their 5k.
[beer stop]

The ladder was doable after hydration, but the steps felt bigger.  Then I got lost for nonalcoholic reason--some jerk destroyed a course marker.

Terrain was more familiar by now.  I let legs dictate pace.  I was in no rush.  The final mile came as great relief: I didn’t hurt myself.


[drying fabrics before loading the car]

I won 3rd for my age group.  The 2nd place beat me by 2 min / mile.  Wasn't close.






_capping off nice visit with Brenda & Mike & Shiloh

Ninfa was a great place for Sunday post-race lunch.  Quails seemed out of place in the Mexican restaurant. So I ordered it. 
 It was delicious.

2-hour drive home was mostly smooth.

_#’s
GPS: Garmin 910xt
Distance: 11.68 mi
Time: 2:19:23
Pace: 11:56 min/mile
Heart rate: 151/177 bpm

Official
Distance: 21k
Time:2:20:09
Pace:10:44 min/mile





I already miss Shiloh.

No comments: