Saturday, March 23, 2019

Blue Red Run Half 2019/03/23—unrecovered


The legs felt dead at the start of Trinity River Levee Half 3 weeks ago.  Today I anticipated a better 13.1-mile result given I had 7 instead of 6 days rest after 4+ hour foot race.  I acquired a Hypervolt massager to promote recovery and alleviate upper body pain.  Wishful thinking didn’t translate to reality.

_plan
Start at mid to high 7’s pace.  Accelerate at mile 8.  21-minute final 3 miles.


[Irving cops and I left the event at the same time.  This caused me having to drive at their speed on George Bush Tollway]

_race
The legs turned into jello around mile 9.  I lost ground to the dozen in front of me.  No one behind me presented a threat.

I stopped holding the pace at mile 11 to save the legs for 20.6-mile A2A in 8 days.  I watched my split went from sub- to mid 8’s. 

_#’s
GPS: Garmin Forerunner 630
Distance: 13.0 mi
Time: 1:44:23 (forgot to stop the timer)
Avg pace: 8:02

Official chip time: 1:43:19
Avg Pace:7:53/M

Ranking 13/160

_Post-race

Got lucky with weather: rain didn’t start ‘til 10 minutes into award.  A few Airbus employee let me take cover in their large vehicle.




No comments: